Menu icon
Gift Aid Gift Aid


A Guide to Gift Aid

Lepra was able to claim over £106,930 in Gift Aid last year, at no extra cost to our supporters. This extra funding is vital for us to continue our life-changing work. Sign up today!

What is Gift Aid?

The Gift Aid scheme is available to charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs), and allows them to claim extra money from HMRC.

As long as the donation is from your own funds, and you have paid the basic rate of tax, we can claim an extra £25p for every £1 you donate. 

Gift Aid accounts for approximately £50 - 90 million a year in the charity sector, and last year, Lepra claimed over £106,930 which shows just how important the scheme is.

Am I eligible for Gift Aid?

You are eligible for Gift Aid if you are a UK taxpayer and as long as your donation is not 4 times what you have paid in tax in that tax year (6 April to 5 April). 

How do I sign up for Gift Aid?

Please complete our online Gift Aid form or print our Gift Aid declaration form and send back via email to or by post to Lepra, 28 Middleborough, Colchester, Essex CO1 1TG.

Or alternatively, you can call us on 01206 216 700. 

The declaration form confirms that you are a UK taxpayer and that your charitable donations to us are not more than 4 times what you have paid in tax in that tax year. If you pay less income tax and/or capital gains tax than the amount of Gift Aid claimed on all your donations in that tax year, it is your responsibility to pay any difference.

Once you have signed up to Gift Aid through the declaration form, Lepra is able to claim Gift Aid on all of your future donations and donations from the previous 4 years. 

If your details change

It is important to tell us if you stop paying tax or if you change your address. Please get in touch with us by emailing or call us on 01206 216 700. 

Higher rate tax payers

If you are a higher rate tax payer (40% or above), you can claim the difference between the rate you pay and basic rate on your donation.

Do this either:

  • through your Self Assessment tax return
  • by asking HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to amend your tax code

Any questions?

Get in touch with us by emailing or call us on 01206 216 700. We are happy to help.